When I bought the 235 to replace my 216, it didn’t come with a distributor. It wasn’t until I bought a ‘235’ distributor on eBay did I come to the realization that for the ’49 216 and the ’55 235 the distributors were identical! Looks like I have a parts distributor.
Once I realized the dizzy’s were the same, I opted to restore the rougher one off of my 216. It had lots of parts on it Made in Canada. I’m trying to keep as much original equipment on the truck as possible.
The original was caked in oil dirt, like most of the engine. Before dipping it in cleaner, I had to scrape a lot of it off.
To get the center shaft out, I had to hammer out a pin keeping the gear in. It wasn’t easy, and with 3 distributors to play with I had a couple to practise with. It a good thing too, I did some good damage with the first in the bench vice. The 2nd and 3rd came out easier.
I soaked all the parts in carb cleaner and then used my Dremel with a wire brush to clean up and polish the rest.
I went with a shaft from the dizzy I bought on eBay as it was in better shape than the original from my 216.
Time for reassembly. The grease cup assembly has been a source for confusion and debate amongst restorers. Behind the grease cup is a spring and a bakelite plug with a fibre backing. Only one of three distributors I have had this plug. I made sure it went back into my restored dizzy.
The points and condensor cleaned up well and looked great in the cleaned up and polished assembly.