Big, heavy, greasy, rusty mess.  That’s what I will remember when I think back to working on the frame!

Once I removed the cab, engine, bed – and everything else non-frameish, the grease had to be removed before blasting.  The rear of the truck wasn’t so bad, but the engine support was coated – plenty of scraping and pressure washing.

IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG

I wasn’t about to blast and paint in my suburban driveway, I had to bring it out to my in-laws farm.  To do so I could of had it towed, or trailered.  I don’t feel like paying $150 for each 1 way tow, and I don’t have access to a big enough trailer – so I decided to make the truck a trailer!  I welded up a mount for an A-frame tow bar, and pulled it with my Jeep.

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0017.JPG IMG_0019.JPG

Once the truck was at the inlaws, I removed the front and rear axle before having the mobile sandblasting service visit.  The company is VANS Pressure Cleaning, and these guys did the whole truck in 3.5 hours, for about $500.  I opted to not blast the axles as from what I’ve read, you don’t want sand near anything that moves.

IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0020.JPG IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0019.JPG IMG_0025.JPG

Next the application of primer – I didn’t choose to go with any fancy POR products.  After much reading, and reading various opinions – I had to agree with the facts.  The fact is the there was no fancy POR paint 60 years ago – and my frame survived!  I put on a oil based Tremclad primer.

IMG_0039.JPG IMG_0040.JPG IMG_0041.JPG IMG_0042.JPG IMG_0043.JPG IMG_0044.JPG IMG_0046.JPG IMG_0047.JPG

Two days later ( battling weather!) I got the gloss Tremclad black on.  Needless to say, the transformation was jaw dropping.

Frame IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0016.JPG

A weeks worth of sandblasting and painting, completed.  At this point I’m pretty sick of cleaning up sand in everything, paint guns, paint everywhere…  But I could finally start putting “stuff” back together, and thats where the fun is.

I put the axles back on, strapped down the cab and brought it home!  Although very incomplete, it was nice to see a clean cab on a painted frame.

IMG_5067.JPG IMG_5064.JPG IMG_5065.JPG IMG_5068.JPG IMG_5069.JPG

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *