More engine prep included cleaning up the valve cover for paint. The 235 Thriftmaster decal peeled off pretty easily. Sanded it with with some 120grit to blend out the paint chips.
As with most of the rust covered parts I used electrolysis to get clean up the engine parts. It was particularly useful on the manifold and fan.
Once I started to reassemble the engine, progress was more obvious. Closer inspection of the cylinders revealed that there was very little ridge at the top, indicating very little wear backing up the <400 mile claim.
I bought a set of new standard sized rod bearings and they all fit within spec.
New seal in the timing cover using a spare piston to support the cover while I pressed the new seal in.
Oil pump reassembled and installed. This pump is from a car engine and the pickup pivots.
Oil pan gaskets installed with sealant at the corners joining the front and back rubber seals.
The harmonic ballancer is from the 216 and was used so I could maintain the 3/8″ pulley width and use the generator / waterpump setup. It had a significant wear groove in it so a speedy sleeve was installed. Red locktite was used to keep it from slipping.
With the lower half setup, it was time to install the head. Two longer head bolts with the head cut off made for good guide pins. The mating surfaces were cleaned with brake cleaner and then blown clean with air. The copper gasket was sprayed with a sealant on both sides and allowed to setup before installation.
Pushrods inserted, rockers installed, side cover and gasket, valve cover gasket installed, valve cover. READY FOR PAINT!
PAINT!! This is The Filling Stations Dark Grey. Had to pick up reducer and hardener, mixed it and off to the races!
Dirty work done I primed the oil pump and tested my seals!